Greek Sweet Treat: Loukoumades (Honey Balls) Recipe
By The Food Tease on August 25, 2015
I tasted these highly addictive honey treats during my visit at the Ottawa Greek Festival and let me tell I couldn’t stop eating them.
Good luck just having one or two…I tried and failed miserably but I had the biggest smile on my face as they are THAT good!
Loukoumades (Honey Balls) Recipe
• 1 Envelope dry yeast
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 cup water, lukewarm
• 3 cups five roses flour
• 1/2 cup tea bisk
• 1/4 cup salt
• 3 tsp. Ouzo
• Honey & cinnamon
• Combine yeast, sugar and water and wait 10 minutes. (place in warm area)
• Combine flour, salt and ouzo. Add to yeast mixture.(note, if there isn’t enough water, add a bit to make a good consistency – this is what Greeks call measuring “me to mati” or “with the eye”) (most Greeks don’t use exact measurements)
• Allow to rise for approximately 10 minutes.
• Heat oil in a pot
• Take a spoonful of mixture and put into hot oil. ** Don’t forget to dip the spoon into water between EACH Loukoumada.
• Gently heat honey and pour over the prepared Loukoumades. Add cinnamon.
Enjoy! And Believe me you’ll want to make several batches 😉
**Recipe courtesy of The Hellenic Community of Ottawa.